January 25, 2014

Design Rule

So I have had a bunch of questions serious, deep questions like...what should the distance be between the couch and the coffee table? 
WOW, there is a design rule for that!
But most of the time I use the 'rule' of design as a guide because its my house and style and I've got to make it livable and hospitable for all who enter it. Just in case you wanted to know though; What about the light above the dining table?
When it comes to things like what height to hang dining room lighting, there's not exactly a strict right and wrong. There are standards, and the standard height for hanging a chandelier or pendant over the dining table is 30" from the tabletop. But some rules are made to be broken. The fixture in my home, is 33" above the tabletop. I like this height - that's all - no rhyme or reason - I just like the look at that length.
Do you know the height of your dining room lighting? Know the rhyme or reason for how it got there?
The experts that I read on Ask.com ;) – say fireplace mantles height and other dimensions should be in proportionate with the fireplace opening and the size of the room. 
The total overall height of a mantle can range from 54 to 64 inches tall from the distance between the floor and the top of the mantle. Our mantle is 64" from the floor. My husband generally follows the experts!
Now, my living room space is in an odd arrangement, usually all the time. It's the area that gives me the greatest trouble. The space includes a mix-mosh of furniture: love seat, chair, game table and china closet. So I do what I can with the space I have.
When you follow the general rule for the distance between the coffee table and love seat you should allow 18" between the two to give enough leg room but to be able to set down drinks or reach appetizers without straining. Coffee table heights vary greatly, but a good rule is to keep the table height and seat height within 4" of each other. Again, my space is and will always be in a constant state of arrangement. 
It's how I spend Saturday mornings!
Do you use silk flowers or faux topiary plants? I use faux greenery and silk flowers and see nothing wrong with it if they are very good quality - even top designers and high-end hotels use them. But after viewing the photo of my faux ficus tree - it has fallen out of favor, I rarely dust the leaves and its cheap looking. I do have a supply of curly willow for a natural touch and will defiantly swap out the faux for real.

Hopefully, you don't wonder or bother with what the experts or anyone else has to  say about the topic of design rule. 
Do tell though if you're a stickler or not toward a particular rule. 

Next week I hope to show you that the ficus tree has been replaced!

No comments: